A Travellerspoint blog

Surprises, Surprises

overcast 63 °F

By:K and A: Well, today was an interesting day. When we got up, we had to pack up our things and meet our driver, who took us to the train station. Once we got to the station, we went to the McDonald's and had breakfast. When we were done eating, we sat at our table for a while, because we had about one hour before our train to Rome would leave. While we were sitting, we decided to look at our train tickets. After looking at them, our dad realized that our tickets said that our train left at 7:39 AM, when the conformation email said that our train was supposed to leave at 8:35 AM! We then realized that the 7:39 train had left 30 minutes ago. To get things straight, we went to the information desk. But, to make things worse, when we were in the information line, one of our big plastic bags broke, and all of our food came out. Luckily, most of our food was in containers, so we just picked them up. The only problem was that our giant water bottle spilled, and all of the water got on the floor! We didn't have time to wipe it up, so we just left the mess there. When we got to the information stand, our mom was so frustrated that she was about to cry. The information guy was so kind and gave us new tickets for free in the first class cabin, where we originaly had our seats, for the 8:35 AM train. We thanked him dearly and made our way to our platform and waited for our train. Then we found out that our train was going to be delayed for 15 minutes. We decided to make ourselves useful and went to ask a guy where the first class cabin was going to be. He said it was at one end of the platform, so we went there. We wanted to make sure that we were able to get onto the train and into our cabin as soon as possible, because the train was only going to stop for about three minutes. Then it would leave. We said that in the worst case, we would get on through the closest door and walk through the carts to our section, which is what we had to do. When the train arrived, we realized the man that told us where the first class cabin was, was wrong. The train came in, and we started running with our bags to get as close to the other end as possible. We ended up getting on the train in one of the second class cabin doors. Then we had to walk through the carts to get to our cabbin. Many times, we ran into people that were going the oppisite direction, and we would have to move to the side, which is very difficult on a train. Once we finally got to our seats, we sat back and enjoyed our three hour ride from Venice to Rome, Italy.

Once we made it to our hotel and put our things down, we took a taxi to the Spanish Steps, where we met our private tour guide, Mario. He was really funny and took us to see Piazza di Spagna, Piazza della Rotonda, the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, and Bernini's Four Rivers fountain. He wven taught us how to drink fresh water from the Roman Aqueducts and how to cross the street when there are no traffic signs for pedestrians. We had so much fun learning about the history of Rome and getting to answer some questions. After the tour, we were supposed to meet some friends, but we never did. Maybe next time. Tomorrow, we will be off for Pompeii. Who knows what's in store for us!


Posted by KandA2TT 12:36 Archived in Italy

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint